Sunday, September 7, 2008

So I ran a 10k this weekend. What did you do? :)

I loved this race! Just the cause and the fact that it was for women only made it really fun. It started at 9 AM, the weather was perfect!It was open to 600 women only, so there wasn't a huge crowd you could get lost in. We had to go around this loop twice, so it enable me to see my family more than just once during the course. We all warmed up and stretched together before the race, which was nice. It was just a nice and very well organized little race.

My time was great too! I expected to do way worse, but I was very pleased with my performance once again. Yeah, I guess this is me bragging. Which is really all I get from running, no medals or anything, just the credentials to brag, and happy self accomplishment feeling :) I came in 32 place from 215 women running the 10K at 53 mins 32 secs. I wasn't able to beat my previous best time, but I was still happy. The course had lots of going up and going down hills, more challenging than the previous, so I knew this would happen.

On another note. It was so fun to see my family, specially those little cuties that I have. I could see the excitement in Naomi's face every time I'd go by and then to hear her cheer me on was the funnest, most encouraging thing-"Go mami go!" Everyone who heard her knew that this little girl's mami had just gotten a big boost. Josie didn't even have to yell out for me, I could see her big smile as she saw me come into sight, and that was more than enough for me. Again my husband and my parents were there by the sidelines and at the finish line. Thanks for your support! I love you!

This time I had the little bit of experience the last race gave me and I was going to use it. This is what my very short running career has thought me:

Do take it easy at the beginning of the race.
Do make sure to securely tie your shoes. Go double on the knot.
Do take the water from the aid stations. :)
Do run in good shoes.
Do spend some money in some running clothes that will keep you cool.
Do reserve your energy for the last stretch. (example: 10K go moderate the first 4 miles, then pick it up after that, not the other way around)
Do go to the restroom before the race, I almost had an "accident" last time at the finish line.
Do sprint off at the end. It's fun to pass some people at the end and take their place :)

Do not take off like crazy at the starting line.
Do not wear the race tee-shirt you get. According to some: It makes you look like a rookie, which I am, but nobody else needs to know that. Besides you never know if the tee-shirt will be black, like in this case. I was sorry for all those girls wearing it.
Do not over do it going up hill.
Do not try to go at someone else's pace.
Do not forget your watch.
Do not hold back going down hill. Use them to your advantage.

I can already see that experience is what makes you better, and of course training. I am back in the game. This is what I needed to get me all excited for my half marathon. I can see why people like to do this, I'm getting a taste from it and I like it!

Good luck to Ryan and Alisa! They are training for a half marathon coming up in October. You guys will be my idols after you finish this race, no pressure. You can do it!

Contributors