Sunday, October 5, 2008

Why is finding good friends after High School so hard?

One of my good friends from High School, Lori, instant messaged me the other day and in our conversation she told me she had run into another one of our friends, Angie, at the store. She now had her number and asked if I wanted it. Yes! I though, followed by- "That would be weird to talk to her after all these years" But then Lori, reassured me that she would be happy to hear from me.

So I kept her number for a couple of weeks after I finally decided to make the call . I was so amazed at how it felt as if had been yesterday that we had last talked. I learned that she's married and has a 10 month old baby, and that she is a successful business woman. We didn't talk very long because she was on her way to picking up her baby after a long day at work, so pretty soon our conversation came to an end when she arrived at the baby-sitter's. I told her that I missed having a friend like her and that I wish we live close to each other so we could be friends and mommies together. I told her that I felt like it was so hard to find good friends after High School. She said she felt the same way. We were both happy to have talked to each other.

I got to thinking of the WHYS. Why does it seem hard to find good friends as an adult. Could it be- the responsibilities? Our family lives? Being busy trying to make it and still figuring things out? Why the need of having friends? Aren't my babies and my husband enough?

I have to confess I am jealous when I go to the park and see a group of women sitting together having a nice pic-nic, they all seem so into their conversation, while their kids play. I wish I had that, had I not moved away after High School maybe?

I'm blessed to have a loving family who seem to be my closest and best friends lately and for the past 5 years. I think this might be the time in my life where I have grown the closest to them. I know I can always count on them in so many ways. Some have friends, some have family, some have both. LUCKY!

Just thinking out loud.

Contributors