Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Reliving childhood memories

I've been babysitting for a Sister in my branch this week. Her older girl left to the Beehive's camp this week, so I volunteered to babysit so she could go. Lolita is 8 years old, so it has worked out great. Naomi likes her a lot and it kind of helps to have someone, other than me, that she can play with.

I took them to the park this morning. There's a little river that runs through it and every time we're there Naomi wants to jump right in. For some reason I've never let her, but there were other kids there today that were doing it, so I thought "What the heck, Go on!" She almost couldn't believe it. I remembered my little brothers and sisters and I "swimming" in a similar river like down in Mexico and how fun that was. There was also this other canal where the water was filthy, and I mean filthy! Black and gooey! But we never seemed to mind, we were swimming!

Back to this morning. Naomi immediately made friends with some girls there who were about 11 and 12 yrs old. She introduced me to them and told me they were her friends. "They my friends mami" She is so cute. Then we notice there were mulberries that kept coming in the current. So I thought there most be a tree somewhere near... and we went looking for it. We didn't have to look very far when we saw this couple pulling on the branches and filling up a big container. Their little girl was covered in purple. They just let her crawl around on the grass where all the mulberries had fallen. I wasn't planning on letting my little girls eat them until coming home and rinsing them, but that didn't happen. Before I knew it, both Josie and Naomi had purple faces as well. They both were really excited about eating them and kept chugging them one after the other. This also reminded me of my childhood, when we (my little brothers and sisters) climbed the mulberry (moras) tree near our home to pick moras.
All this made me wonder why I, a modern parent, freak out and won't let my kids do things like this often enough when I, as a child, went through all this things myself. Nothing ever happened to me. I turned out OK, build some immunities in the process and not only that, but I get to have all these sweet memories of growing up. Anyway, that is the thought for the day.

Contributors