Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Wasatch Back Ragnar Relay



I'm so excited to be able to be part of this little adventure with 23 other wonderful woman that I do not even know and have never met, but know they must be cool.

It's been about a year since someone in the Marathon Mommies blog (a blog about moms that run, obviously) posted about wanting to enter this race but did not have enough people to complete a team of 12 people. She asked if anyone would be interested in doing this and a lot of us replied to her post, more than what she actually needed. And you know us moms, don't want to make anyone feel bad. So in order to include the multitudes of enthusiastic running moms, two teams were formed: "Mommies got back", and "Energizer Runnies" (I'm part of Energizer Runnies)

Like I said it's been a few months of posts and emails to organize our teams. We all trusted and mailed money to complete strangers in charge of registering the teams. Then we all put our input into designing a t-shirt for the team. Someone came up with checklists and we each took our pick at what to bring. Someone made a list and assign each with legs according to their level of expertise or not, even estimated how long it would take our teams to complete the race based on each 24 women's running pace. People volunteered their vans for a weekend. A pre-race party and breakfast were even orginized! ...Whew! Lots and lots of organization and blogging! he-he! And it's finally here! Friday is the big day!

Why on earth am I excited about riding in a van filled with a bunch of complete strangers (6 of us, Imagine the stink!), runing in the heat, cold, dark (one of my legs it's at 11:30 pm) maybe rain, dirt trails, "sleeping" under the stars, repeat, keep going for 30+ hrs? ....I DON'T KNOW! But I guess that's the beatuy of it. Putting myself out there, getting out of my comfort zone (I am really shy), getting to know new people, challenging my mind and body. Oh what I do for the love of running! This is going to be fun!


Contributors