Friday, February 12, 2010

"Mom, where is Jesus?"

I wish I had a pen and paper on hand every single minute of the day, or a memory that could remember all the cute, funny, smart things my kids say. I'm always trying to keep a mental note of them for the purpose of writting them down later at the end of the day, but it never happens and then I forget. This is to precious I could not forget.

Today as we were driving around driving errands, we passed a pretty ugly car accident site. The girls, specially Naomi could not help but notice and naturally asking questions. First she asked: Mom, what happened? Why are the firefighters here? I explained the best I could for a 4 year old to understand and some of it sounded like "There's been an accident and sometimes people get hurt and the firefighters are here to help those people" kind of thing, and then she asked,  "Mom, where is Jesus?" and I answered "Jesus is in Heaven" and she said "Jesus can help those people. He can heal them! Why is he not coming down?" ...and my eyes got all watery as I tried to think of the right words to say. What do you say? This was the best I could come up with: "If you say a prayer for those people Jesus can help heal them. Do you want to say a prayer?" and then she said "No". I think she was a little dissapointed with my answer. What kind of answer is that for someone who believes Jesus is real as to come down from Heaven to heal someone on the spot. I wish I could have that kind of faith. I hope I didn't just destroy it.

Contributors