Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Fourth Generation Picture


I love this picture! My grandma showed up for a surprise visit at the beginning of the new year just a couple of days after my brother and his family had left back to Texas, also here on a surprise visit. Then my grandma shows up! It was way too good, and it was true! Great way to start the year. It had been a while since she last came, maybe about 4 yrs, so this was her first time meeting my girls. The evening before she left we rushed to the photo studio and took this picture. I just had to do it, or I wasn't gonna be able to live with myself knowing I hadn't, fat cheek and all - I had dental work done like the day before, that's why my right side looks funny, I tried to cover it, but didn't do a very good job- My grandma and my mom look fantastic, not to mention my two little "angels". Now my girls will have this picture to treasure and share for generations. They will know who they come from , and who they are, at least fifty percent of it, which is something very important for me. I do not want the part of their culture and heritage, the one they get from me, to be lost or forgotten. I want them to embrace it and be proud of it.

Here's a little about my grandma:

Her mother died when she was about 3 yrs old, so she was raised by her father and older siblings. She met my grandpa when she was in grade school and married him when she was 15 yrs old. She had 11 children, one of them- the youngest, died of dehydration when she was 9 months old. My mom tells me they were very poor (de padre borracho y familia numerosa- with a drunken father and a large family) and had a tough life, but my grandma always made the best out of it for them. My grandma is a faithful LDS. She is a great "confeccionista" confectionist? She made all of her children's clothes, mostly by hand. She makes all sorts of crafts, knits, crotchets, and of course is an excellent cook! Going to her house on Sundays growing up was my favorite thing. She always had something yummy waiting for us: Mole, pozole, menudo, gorditas, Y-U-M! I love her to pieces, she is a great lady. I hope I am like her when I grow old, mmm...I have some catching up to do. Aren't grandmas the best!?

Contributors