Thursday, October 18, 2007

binky free


Naomi is turning 2 yrs old! They do grow up so fast, and the saddest thing is that there's nothing you can do to stop it. Mi nena linda. Anyway, so we taught her to fall asleep on her own since the very beginning, or did we? Actually we followed all the rules in the Baby Wise book, which works wonders, we recommend it to all our friends, most of them or maybe none of them put it to practice and are now still suffering the consequences. Anyway, the only rule we decided to brake was the "no binky" one. It just made bed time smooth, it calmed her down and avoided us the frustration of listening to her cry. It really was a life saver. Well, we also decided that the 2 yr old mark would be a the one to wean her off of it. Last Sunday, Aaron complained that Josie cried too much that day and that it was all my fault because I hadn't "trained" her right to fall asleep on her own yet. So I decided to take responsibility and "train" her and Naomi since, she was turning 2 in a few days anyway, and off went the binkies. Yeah, fun! No binky night, woo-hoo sing me in at any time! So sad! Naomi cried like I have never heard her before. It was almost as if she had lost someone, not something. It was heart-braking. I was regretting it so bad and just wanted to give it to her and end her suffering, she was so miserable, you'd have to have been there to know what I'm talking about. She finally fell asleep after almost 2 hrs of going back and forth into her room trying to calm her back down. The next day I read on the Internet that cutting the tip off the binky was a better approach, kids would loose interest and just wouldn't want it anymore without shedding a tear. So I tried it the next day before her nap and told her Tank took a bite off of it and was now broken. She was really upset and kept saying "Tank no-no!" She said that all day long. She sure lost interest, to the point where she on her own threw it in the trash can, but continued to cry. But even with the crying it worked. She stopped looking and calling for it, and only cried that night. She was fine the next day and has been all week long! Yeih! Josie's still enjoying her binky and Naomi won't even try to even take a little lick. She knows it's the baby's. We also put her in a toddler bed the week before this whole ordeal. That was a breeze, she loves her big girl bed. Anyway, this whole process got me to think. Where did I get the idea that 2 was the age to kick the habit!? Here I am wishing that my baby stays little forever, but at the same time pushing her to grow up. I guess that's life. Next step POTTY TRAINING, fun!

Contributors