Friday, May 16, 2008

Unpleasant Experience

I went walking with my dog on Wednesday and then again on Thursday and today. On Wednesday I had an ugly experiece happen. We passed a car dealership where some men where washing the cars. I often get people who comment on my dog: "That's a beautiful dog", "That's a big dog!", "You've got your hands full!" and I just smile and keep on walking. A couple of those men did just that... and then one of them, of course hispanic, just could not help his macho-self and started saying all this nasty stuff to me, the "Adios mamacita, blah, blah, blah" type of stuff. I HATE THAT!!! See, men like this grow up looking at his dad and grapa doing it, so they think it's ok to do it because everyone ( not everyone, but a LOT of men) in our countries of origin (Mexico, South America) does it everyday and get away with it. And then they get here and want to keep doing it. I'm sure most women just keep on walking without even looking at them, but not me! It boils my blood!!! (me hierbe la sangre) like my dad says. I stoped, looked at him and very angry asked : "Did you say something!?" His whole countenance changed and his face almost fell off of embarrasement "No I was just talking about your dog" he said like a little girl. "Good, you better be!" I said. Arrrrrrrrggggggghhhh! I HATE THAT MAN and all who do this type of stuff! I just don't understand what it is they get out of it, and the guts! I told my husband when he came home from work and he said I should have told him "Oh, so you're a dog humper!" Ha-ha! I should have said that! That would have been funny.

With that said. Here's some tips I found on the web to stay safe when if we're out running in the streets:

It is your responsibility to be prepared to defend yourself if you are caught in a situation that you may be the target of an act of violence. There are many personal protection products sold today that will allow you to protect yourself and loved ones, such as a Tasers, Pepper Spray, and Stun Guns.There are also some things that can be done for your protection that will not cost you anything other than using your best judgment and intuition when making decisions.Here are some tips that will help you to remain safe and secure.

General Safety Tips:
• If you feel or see a problem, do whatever you can to avoid a confrontation, change your route, cross the street, and if this fails prepare to defend yourself.
• Do not look like an easy target, look strong and confident-most fights are won before they start as most aggressors will back down if you maintain eye contact and are not intimidated by them.• Do not hitchhike, always use the bus or take a taxi if you do not have transportation.
• Do not wear revealing clothing or gaudy jewelry when you are walking on the streets alone.
• Always carry a personal protection product with you at all times.

Walking/Jogging Safety:
• Be alert and aware of you surroundings, do not go places that seem to be dangerous.
• Do not assume that the area your in is safe because it has been safe in the past. Predators can be anywhere so be prepared.
• Become familiar with that area that you walk or jog in, and make mental notes of safe houses or safe places that can be used if the need arises.
• Do not use a “walkman or ipod” when jogging or walking in isolated areas at any time. This will reduce your awareness of the area.
• Change you routes and routines on a regular basis to avoid any would be predators from being able to track your movements or actions.
• Always carry a personal protection product on your person.

And here's what Oprah has to say:
http://www.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/200409/tows_past_20040928_f.jhtml

Contributors